Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Jury Service

I thought I might be able to leave it till the end of the week, but I got sworn into a jury this afternoon!

Just thought I'd let you know that it's rather fun.

Of course I can't tell you what case I'm on, if they find out I'll be held in contempt of court and fined or imprisoned, can't really afford either!

The psychologist in me is having a field day. It's so much fun watching people in court, their movements and their voice tone.

The criminologist is also having a great time. The pre- and mis-conceptions that people have come out in the waiting room. It made me laugh inside when my dissertation topic came up and I wanted to argue it out, but we only had a two minute break.

The judge is fantastic, sitting on his rather big bench and over seeing everything. He apologised to the members of the jury for being late, not any one else in court.

The politeness of the lawyers to each other.

And of course the many comparisons made to The Bill and other such programmes.

I love the public, they are humorous.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Have you ever seen Twelve Angry Men? It's a film made in the 50s and very good. I think you might like it. Tony Hancock did an equally good half hour remake(!).

john cowart said...

Here are a few thoughts about that Jesus/God thing:

Jesus claimed to be God: John 8:23-24 -- “I am from above… I am not of this world… If ye believe not that I am He, ye shall die in your sins”. Perhaps you could ask your friend what he thinks this passage means.
John 10:30 -- “I and my father are one”. Why did Jesus say that?

His enemies knew Jesus said he is God. John 10:33 – “The Jews answered him saying, ‘For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God”.

His friends heard Him claim to be God: When Philip asked to see God, Jesus said (John 14:8-9) “He that hath seen me hath seen the Father”.

St. Paul knew that Jesus is God: In Philippians 2:5-11, Paul said “Christ Jesus… being in the form of God…equal with God… made in the likeness of men…the death of the cross… At the name of Jesus every knee should bow… Jesus Christ is Lord”.

Angels worship Jesus as God: Hebrews 1:1-8 says, “God… His son… by whom also he made the worlds; Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of His person… the firstborn… all the angels of God worship him… Unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever”.

Hope these thoughts help.
John